19/06/2014

Dubai pa(ni)cking

As many of you probably already know I am flying off to magical Dubai very pronto! Boring and predictable as I am, I happen to contemplate the contents of my suitcase relentlessly since I received my Golden Call (which was the confirmation of my success in getting the job of Cabin Crew). Thus, regardless of the entire 35 days which are left for me to get my butt together, I've already created the list which is pretty much a compilation of what I could find online plus my invaluable friends' plentiful suggestions. Hereby, I would like to present you with a list of things I want to be in my UAE destined suitcase. Along with the list comes the fact that I must actually pack this suitcase (two of these, to be more specific) at some point. Well, I think I'll just stick to what the advertising campaign slogan of my favourite sports brand says: JUST DO IT!


DOCUMENTS

e-Ticket
travel documents i.e. passport and two copies thereof (one black&white and one colour)
employment visa (original and copy)
all the original medical documents and additional reports (if applicable)
vaccine book
contract
8 passport size photographs
dependants' birth certificates (originals plus copies)
latest education certificate (original and copy)
list of emergency/contact numbers to relatives
cash (Forex; apparently you can survive first two months on approximately 2000 AED but I think it is just common sense, or me being super-provident, to have more)

*note: it is advisable to have digital copies of all the documents on your flash drive just in case


TRAINING:
full business attire (for day one exclusively)
black pants (no denim/leather/skinny, and you'd better take two as you will be wearing these for approximately two months non-stop)
black shoes (flats/low heel; smart shoes for men; you can take two as, again, you will be wearing these every day during your training)
invisible socks - you don't want your feet sweaty during your training (I suggest the ones with silicone grip)

black cardigan (it might be chilly in some buildings)
black handbag (to match your uniform)
all kinds of hair accessories (pins, clips, elastics, doughnut)
notebook and stationery (add some colour markers and post it notes as they come in handy while learning)

CLOTHING
clothing for all seasons (smart, casual, sleepwear, underwear, beachwear, gymwear, jackets/blazers, sweater/hoodie/cardigan/jersey, denim/jeans, dresses/skirts/shorts so... pretty much a bit of everything)
shoes (smart plus one pair closed toe heels for ladies, slippers, sneakers, flats, sandals, boots)
headwear
*note: packing-wise, it is good to use those vacuum bags for clothes - they will save you plenty of space

ACCESSORIES
sunnies
if you wear glasses bring an extra pair as it is important for flying
reading glasses
contact lenses (bring with supply)
jewellery
handbags
beach towel

FLYING
pantyhose - as many as you can, there is never too much (supposedly the compression hosiery is popular among the Cabin Crew so I might get me a pair of these as well)
hair accessories - again (pins, clips, elastics, doughnut)
impeccable make-up (blush, red lipstick and red/transparent nail polish are the key elements)
modest watch (gold/silver bracelet or black/brown strap)
lunch box

TOILETRIES
sunscreen (above all!)
dental care (toothbrush, toothpaste, tongue cleanser, dental floss)
make-up (whatever you are using, but I would take me some good primer)
skin care (cleansing, face masks and whatever you do to yourself)
antiperspirant and some fragrance (not too heavy and I mean the scent not the weight)
brush, washcloth, safety razor
hair accessories (shampoo, conditioner, sunscreen, hairspray)
nail polish (red and transparent, plus some good top coat)
sticking plasters/corn plasters
a few packs of tampons as apparently it is not easy to obtain them in Dubai
hair dye if you dye your hair light shades as, again, it might be difficult to find one in Dubai (or just opt for a visit in a hair salon as I am planning to do)
*note: it is advisable to take a three-month supply in case you cannot find your favourite in Dubai (or just be open-minded to innovation)
**note: supposedly a lot of girls experience severe hair loss in Dubai due to I have no idea what... Terrified as I am, I've learnt that one of the solutions is to install a water filter in your shower

ELECTRONICS
laptop
iPad/iPod/etc. (plus chargers)
cell phone
adapter/plug
camera
hair dryer/straightener/curler
electric shaver/toothbrush/whatever you are using
*note: it is advisable for you to download Skype/VPN in your home country in advance as you cannot download it in the UAE, you are allowed to use these in the UAE though

MISCELLANEOUS
some extra coat hangers
some photos of your family to chill you in those nostalgic moments when you are on your own
vitamins/supplements/medications/whatever you are taking (I am not taking any at the moment but I would take some calcium, vitamin C, aspirin and melatonin to help me turn in when I need to)
*note: you will be given the list of prohibited/controlled drugs on the portal

No comments:

Post a Comment